Sales totals are hammer price plus buyer’s premium and do not reflect costs, financing fees or application of buyer’s or seller’s credits.
EXCEPTIONAL MOTOR CARS FROM THE BROWNING ESTATE
20 August 2000
1932 LINCOLN MODEL KB CONVERTIBLE ROADSTER
COACHWORK BY LEBARON
Chassis No. KB47
Engine No. KB47
Blue with dark blue beltlines, red leather interior and a tan top
Engine: V-12 , 448ci., 150bhp at 3,400rpm; Gearbox: three-speed manual; Suspension: front and rear, semi-elliptic leaf springs; vacuum assisted four wheel drums. Left hand drive.
For many enthusiasts, the 1932 Lincoln KB represents the pinnacle of aesthetic and mechanical achievement for the Lincoln marque. The KB carried Lincolns first V12, an engine type destined to power all Lincolns from 1933 through 1948. The Lincoln fork and blade connecting rod arrangement was continued, and in this, as well as other respects, the new engine was a continuation of design features used since the first Leland designed motor cars. Built for only two years, the KB V12 was the largest displacement engine offered by Lincoln until the mid-sixties. It was a response to the horsepower and cylinder race started by Duesenberg in 1928, further escalated by the Cadillac V16 introduced in 1930, as well as to the deepening depression which was swiftly killing luxury car sales by 1932. The response by the competitors in the field, Lincoln included, was to offer more flamboyant and powerful automobiles than ever before.
The new KB was an aesthetic triumph as well. Born in a year when there were few unattractive cars, the Lincoln was nevertheless a standout. The wheelbase was long, the hood was long and the entire ensemble could only be described as majestic. It was the last year for unskirted fenders and a vertical radiator grille, while windshields were developing an attractive slant and variations were catalogued on the KB chassis alone. This was in addition to twelve varying body styles available on the companion KA V8 series during the same model year.
One of the most popular, and surely one of the sportiest, was the LeBaron Convertible Roadster, of which the car on offer is a splendid example. Unfortunately, 'popular' in those depressed times meant that only a mere 125 of these LeBaron bodied convertibles were built. While Lincoln used the word Roadster, this model actually had wind up windows and thus did not, strictly speaking, meet the roadster definition and by today's terms would be considered a coupe body style. The LeBaron Convertible was first offered on the Lincoln chassis in 1930. The extended 145 inch wheelbase initiated in 1931 permitted the top contour to be lowered and lengthened improving the appearance. The top folds below the belt line providing a particularly sporting appearance when the top is lowered. The car is equipped with a golf bag door on the right side.
The KB LeBaron presented here was acquired by the Brownings from former Maryland owner, Mr. Charles Hordubay, in 1987. We understand that Mr. Hordubay himself purchased this example in the early 1980s. Though a slightly older restoration, this KB has been maintained in first class condition in all respects. Paintwork is excellent except for minor scratches and blemishes. Soft trim including the rumble seat, top and running boards is also in good condition. The odometer shows 52,993 miles, which is believed to be from new. Attesting to its once superb restoration, this Lincoln was awarded a National First Prize from the Antique Automobile Club of America. This is a rare opportunity to acquire one of Lincoln's finest products and this car from the Browning Collection is a wonderful example of the superior KB model line. It is considered a Full Classic by the Classic Car Club of America and would undoubtedly be a welcome entrant at classic car shows, tours and caravans nationwide.
This lot has no reserve.
Register to Bid: Please register online at www.christies.com
or contact the Christie's Bid Department at:
NY: +1 212 636 2437
London: +44 (0)20 7389 2658
Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm local times