• Sale 2287

    Important American Furniture, Folk Art, Silver & Chinese Export

    21 - 25 January 2010, New York, Rockefeller Plaza

  • Lot 69

    AN IMPORTANT AND MONUMENTAL SILVER EWER

    MARK OF PAUL REVERE, BOSTON, CIRCA 1798

    Price Realised  

    AN IMPORTANT AND MONUMENTAL SILVER EWER
    MARK OF PAUL REVERE, BOSTON, CIRCA 1798
    Of urn form with reeded band at the shoulder and an urn-form finial surmounting the hinged cover, the body engraved The property of the first church in Beverly Bought with the church's stock by a committee consisting of the Pastor and Deacon Benjamin Cleaves and Deacon Robt Roundy 1798; marked on foot with Kane mark C
    15½ in. high; 33 oz.


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    In keeping with the New England tradition of using domestic silver forms as communion vessels, Revere chose a design normally used for coffee ewers or claret jugs to serve as a wine flagon for the church. At 15½ inches high, it is one of the largest examples of silver by Paul Revere.

    The September 4, 1796 Church Records reference this ewer (as a flagon) in the entry illustrated below.

    The Pastor listed in the inscription was Reverend Joseph McKeen (1757-1807). He served the First Parish Church in Beverly from 1785 until 1802, when he left to become the first president of Bowdoin College in Maine.

    Deacon Robert Roundy, also listed in the inscription, is mentioned by William Bentley, pastor of the East Church of Salem from 1783 to 1819, in his diaries, as a source of information regarding the "honourable" separation of a Church. Roundy's experience probably related to the formation of the Second Parish in Beverly, which Bentley considered graciously done, mentioning in this entry that the First Parish in Beverly offered the "communion service of plate till they could supply themselves." Finally, in the 1830s, the First Parish gave two silver tankards, both by Paul Revere and each with a presentation inscription, to the Second Church in Beverly and to the Christian Church in Beverly Farms.

    (c) 2008 First Parish Church, UU, Beverly MA 01915 All Rights Reserved
    Caption:
    John Singleton Copley
    Paul Revere, 1768
    Gift of Joseph W. Revere, William B. Revere and Edward H. R. Revere 30.781
    Photograph (c) [2009] Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

    Pre-Lot Text

    PROPERTY OF THE FIRST PARISH CHURCH IN BEVERLY


    Literature

    E. Alfred Jones, Old Silver of American Churches, 1913, p. 18, illus. pl. VI, no. 4
    Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, American Church Silver of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries, 1911, p. 107, illus. pl. 31, no. 890
    Patricia Kane, Colonial Massachusetts Silversmiths and Jewelers, 1998, p. 816


    Exhibited

    "American Church Silver of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries," Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1911, cat. no. 890