The design for these table lamps is derived from a pattern for an ancient Roman funerary monument published in an engraving by Piranesi in his Vasi, Candelabri, Cippi, Sarcofagi, Tripodi, Lucerne, ed Ornamenti Antichi of 1778. This lamp pattern appears to have been produced by a number of specialist makers working in the early 19th century. Another pair (and a further two single lamps) bearing the maker's plate of James De Ville (d.1846) was sold anonymously, Sotheby's London, 13 November 1998, lots 140-142. A further pair produced by Thomas Messenger and Sons of Birmingham and thought to have been commissioned by the 4th Duke of Newcastle, was sold Christie's London, 29 November 1984, lot 91 and is now in the collection at Temple Newsam House, Leeds (see Country House Lighting 1660-1890, Temple Newsam Country House Studies No.4, 1992, p.145, no.121). Another pair is in the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.
In 1835, Miller and Sons are listed as 'Spermaceti-refiners, Wax-chandlers, & Oil-merchants' with premises at 179 Piccadilly, and 51 Old Compton Street. This may have been the wax chandler, George Miller, noted in 1824 as going into partnership with his son.