• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 1892

    Important English Furniture and Ceramics

    11 October 2007, New York, Rockefeller Plaza

  • Lot 17

    A PAIR OF WILLIAM IV SILVERED AND GILT-BRASS OIL LAMPS

    BY MILLER & SONS, CIRCA 1835

    Price Realised  

    A PAIR OF WILLIAM IV SILVERED AND GILT-BRASS OIL LAMPS
    BY MILLER & SONS, CIRCA 1835
    Each with pierced, knopped stem above a waisted socle and campana-form body cast with bands of foliage waterleaves and husks and with a pair of fluted ribbon-wrapped handles, on a waisted socle and waterleaf-molded plinth, and with cream pleated silk shades, electrified
    33 in. (84 cm.) high, overall (2)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    The firm of Miller & Sons supplied lamps and were registered as wax chandlers and oilmen. Their first premises were at 179 Piccadilly and they subsequently expanded to the building behind them on Duke Street as well as 178 and 180 Piccadilly which they renovated to become a single unified storefront. Miller & Sons remained at this location until 1907.