This vessel belongs to a group of Eastern Mediterranean footed flasks or goblets first discussed by Donald Harden when writing about a remarkable example with a more ambitious wheel-abraded design, with a hound chasing hares, that was found in an Anglo-Saxon grave in Sussex (1959, pp. 3-20). Gladys Davidson Weinberg expanded further on this group, believing too that they could have been the produce of a single workshop active at the end of the 4th to early 5th Century A.D. (1963, pp. 24-8). For a similar flask with inscription once in the Constable-Maxwell collection and now in the Newark Museum (inv. no. 87.114), see Auth, 1996, pp. 103-5, figs 1-2.