AN EGYPTIAN INLAID STEATITE PECTORAL
NEW KINGDOM, DYNASTY XIX-XX, 1307-1070 B.C.
In the form of a pylon, sculpted in shallow sunk relief, the obverse centered by a sacred barque conveying a now-missing heart scarab above a horizon (Axt) sign, the scarab surmounted by the fetish of Abydos (a box on a pole containing the head of Osiris, topped by a uraeus and plumes), flanked by standing figures of Isis and Nephthys, identified by their crowns, the fetish framed by two birds of prey with spread wings, above nb-baskets, representing the goddesses as the "Two Kites" protecting Osiris, a sacred bull to the left, perhaps Apis, and hieroglyphs to the right reading "Re-Harakhty," a falcon to the right, the scene framed on three sides by bands of rectangles, with lilies alternating with triangles below, a winged solar disk in the cavetto molding above; the reverse in two registers, the upper with Osiris enthroned to the left before offerings, with two columns of hieroglyphs before him reading: "Osiris...," and to the right a standing man and woman with their arms raised in adoration, inscriptions above each, the lower register with a winged scarab in the center, flanked by a sacred bull before an offering stand to the left, an inscription above reading: "Apis," a kneeling adorant to the right, both registers centered by the base of the heart scarab surmounted by a falcon head with a solar disk, the scarab overlapping the two registers and divided into five horizontal lines, the upper two and the fourth containing hieroglyphs, tentatively reading: "...heart(?)...who gives/places," "the heart...O(?) Osiris(?)," "pure(?) heart of the temple(?)," framed on all four sides with decorative borders, lilies below, additional decorative borders above, preserving numerous faience inlays in red and turquoise blue, perforated at the back and top of the cornice for suspension
3 5/8 in. (9.2 cm.) wide