The firearms forming this highly distinctive group are attributed to a range of dates from the late 17th century (in the former Electoral Armoury collection, Dresden, Inv.Nr. G1169) to circa 1800. All examples have stocks sharing closely similar decorative characteristics with minor variations. Published commentaries suggest that the luxurious quality and uniformity of the group makes their use by an elite body of troops most likely, the natural conclusion being the Sultan's guard.
Six examples are preserved in the Topkapi Sarayi Museum, the main residence of the Ottoman Sultans until 1853.
A further two are in The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York(32.75.270 and 36.25.2155); another is in The Gatchina Arsenal, St. Petersburg (GDM Ref. No.938); and another is in The Wallace Collection, London.
See H. Ricketts & P. Missillier, Splendeur des Armes Orientales, d'Acte-Expo, Paris, May-July 1988, No.43