A number of guns thought to have been taken from the Ottomans after their rout before Vienna in 1683 display a similar decorative scheme made of inlaid panels and applied silver plaques and studs. One is mentioned in a 1683 inventory of the Armoury of Dresden and another which closely relates to the present example is in the Museum fr Vlkerkunde in Munich, (Im Lichte des Halbmonds, exhibition catalogue, Dresden, 1995, p. 210, cat. 242 and Diplomaten und Wesire, exhibition catalogue, Munich, 1988, p. 48, cat. 18). A similarly inlaid gun with a row of silver studs around the stock, which is possibly a late 17th century feature, is in the Khalili collection has been given a 17th to18th century attribution (J.M.Rogers, Empire of the Sultans, exhibition catalogue, Geneva, 1995, cat.101). Although the precise dating of these guns on the basis of their decoration is difficult as the decoration remains the same until the early 19th century, the quality of the polychrome inlay and that of the beautifully damascened barrel make this gun one of the finest examples of the kind. The long floral spray emitting a tulip decorating the underside of the stock would also help attribute this gun earlier than the majority of similar examples.