Henry Jones (1635-1695) was one of London's finest clockmakers of the last quarter of the 17th Century. Born the son of a vicar in Boulder near Southampton, he was apprenticed through the Clockmakers' Company in 1654 to the illustrious Edward East (1602-1697) and freed in 1663. Probably he continued to work for East until 1672 when he set up on his own in the Inner Temple.
From 1676 Jones was an Assistant in the Clockmakers' Company. He was Warden in 1687 and Master in 1691. Between 1664 and 1693 he had fourteen apprentices, including his two sons William and Henry. He died in November 1695 and was buried at St. Dunston's in the West, Fleet Street.
A similar walnut and marquetry month duration longcase clock by Henry Jones was sold, Sotheby's New York, Masterpieces from the Time Museum, Part II, 19 June 2002, lot 170 ($44,812).