Thomas Weeks (1743-1834) established his museum of mechanical curiosities in Tichborne Street from 1788. Weeks followed the fashion established by James Cox and Henri Maillardet (of Jaquet Droz) for exhibiting highly ornamental automaton clocks as part of London's great trade attractions. As here, he sometimes signed clocks 'Semaine', reflecting the French influence of their design.
Derek Roberts (Mystery, Novelty and Fantasy Clocks, Atglen, 1999, p.169) notes that when James Cox disposed of his museum by lottery in 1775 a number of pieces, including an automaton silver swan, now at the Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle, were purchased by Thomas Weeks who subsequently exhibited them in his own museum.
A clock of comparable design to the present clock, although lacking the lion and figure to the top, was sold Christie's London, 5 December 1995, lot 90.