The firm of Thomire et Cie was established by Pierre-Philippe Thomire (d. 1843), certainly one of the most well-known and important bronziers during the early part of the 19th century. He trained under Pajou and Houdon at the Acadéemie de Saint-Luc and later under the master bronzier Gouthière. Known as Thomire et Cie from 1819, the company ceased production in the early 1850s, unable to adapt to the changing styles of the second half of the century and anchored by the high standards of its deep-rooted manufacturing techniques, which made its own costs vastly greater than others.
A similar but less elaborate clock, made for the 1842 Paris Exhibition, is illustrated in Tardy, La Pendule Française, des origines à nos jours, pt. II. It is now in the Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris.
Another example of this model clock by Thomire et Cie, identical but for having columnar supports to the sides rather than the more elaborate winged caryatids found here, was sold in these rooms, 14 May 1998, lot 34 (£35,600).