Lépine (1720-1814) was one of the foremost clockmakers of his time. He executed a very wide range of clocks, in the 1788 inventory of the Garde Meuble, no less than thirty clocks bearing his name are listed (J.D. Augarde, Les Ouvriers du Temps, Geneva 1996, p. 354).
His prestigious clientèle included the Comtesse de Provence, Prince Charles de Lorraine, the Princesse de Lamballe and various other members of the Court. His Chef-d'oeuvre is perhaps the double-faced clock he supplied in 1769 for the famous Bureau du Roi in Versailles.
A nearly identical model is illustrated in P. Kjellberg, Encyclopédie de la Pendule française du Moyen Age au XXe siècle, Paris 1997, p. 295, ill. C.