The Lepaute dynasty of clockmakers started in 1740 when Jean-Andre Lepaute (1720-1788) went to Paris to become a clockmaker, followed in 1747 by his brother Jean-Baptiste (1727-1802). The latter took over the business in 1774, at which time it was in Palais-Royal, moving to Rue des Echelle St. Honoré 1778-1783. Jean-Baptiste retired in 1789, giving way to his two nephews.
The 'portico' design was used frequently on clocks in the Louis XVI period, with a number of designs being used. Eagle or military finials were popular but chinoiserie motifs and figures are found far less frequently.