With photocopies of the Certificate of Legalization confirming that the present chronometer has been examined between 14 March and 30 March 1990 at the Observatory in Gdansk, Poland. The results achieved matched the acceptable tolerance for ship chronometers of the first class of accuracy.
The present marine chronometer is believed to be one of four similar models to have appeared in public to date.
Kelvin Hughes Limited have been supplying mariners with chronometers, compasses and sextants for over two hundred and fifty years.
In 1941, two firms formed an alliance under the name Kelvin & Hughes, Marine Instruments Ltd.: Kelvin Bottomley & Baird, founded in Glasgow around 1850, manufacturer and supplier of technical equipment and Hughes, originally clock makers in the East End of London who had progressed into supplying sextants and chronometers to ships coming into the Thames.
In 1947, all operations were combined in one company, Kelvin Hughes Limited, which in the early 1960s became part of Smiths, a UK based instrument maker.