The steel screw schooner Lady Cassandra was originally launched as the Oriental, having been designed and built for Mr. Peter Mackinnon of Campbeltown, New Brunswick, Canada, by A. & J. Inglis at Glasgow in 1882. Registered at 168 tons gross (81 net & 232 Thames), she measured 129 feet in length with a 20 foot beam and was engined by her builders. By 1890 she had been purchased by J. George Clark, another Canadian, who renamed her Lady Cassandra but she was sold again in 1897, this time to Mr. Charles Markham of Chesterfield. He rechristened her Bohemia (II), the name she retained into the twentieth century.