• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7435

    British Works on Paper

    21 November 2007, London, King Street

  • Lot 54

    Benjamin West, P.R.A. (1738-1820)

    Venus comforting Cupid; Study of the 'Venus de' Medici'; Studies of a woman wearing a headscarf (recto) and a woman reaching up (verso); and A design for a coat of arms

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    Benjamin West, P.R.A. (1738-1820)
    Venus comforting Cupid; Study of the 'Venus de' Medici'; Studies of a woman wearing a headscarf (recto) and a woman reaching up (verso); and A design for a coat of arms
    one numbered '26' (lower right)
    pencil, one indented for transfer and blackened verso, unframed
    6¼ x 7¾ in. (15.9 x 19.7 cm.) (4)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    The sketch of Venus and Cupid appears to be a preliminary idea for Cupid stung by a bee, a theme to which West returned many times throughout his career. The drawing does not relate to any of the known finished paintings on this theme, but its fluidity and confidence suggests a date in the 1780s or 1790s.

    The study of the Venus de' Medici, by contrast, probably dates from earlier in West's career and perhaps even from his visit to Italy prior to arriving in England. He arrived in Italy in July 1760 and remained there until 1763, visiting Florence at least three times during his stay. The Venus was a highlight of the Uffizi's collection; on display in the gallery's tribuna from 1677, it was a key sight of the Grand Tour. For a young artist seeking to improve his style, it was a valuable object of study: like the Apollo Belvedere, which West had seen in Rome (see lot 30), it represented ideal Classical beauty.

    Special Notice

    VAT rate of 5% is payable on hammer price and at 15% on the buyer's premium


    Provenance

    The artist's family, and by descent to
    Mrs P. Howard; Sotheby's, London, 22 March 1979, part of lots 14 & 11, where purchased by the present owner.