Pytchley Hall, built circa 1580 for Sir Euseby Isham was taken over by John Spencer, 1st Earl Spencer in 1752. The 1st Earl was responsible for starting a hunting club that became the Pytchley Hunt and the pack of hounds he transferred from the family seat at Althorp became the Pytchley Hounds.
Charles Simpson turned towards equestrian painting following the success of his friend Sir Alfred James Munnings and collaborated with author Guy Paget illustrating a number of books on hunting and country pursuits. Fellow artist Dame Laura Knight once commented of Simpson 'he was so prodigal with paint he could be traced by the colour left on the bushes!'.