Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to
James White of Exeter (1744-1825) and by bequest to
John Herman Merivale (1779-1844) and by descent in the family to
The Misses Maria Sophia and Judith Ann Merivale, by 1915, by whom sold to
Catherine Lambert, October 1932 (£25) and by descent to the present owners.
P. Oppé, 'Francis Towne Landscape Painter' Walpole Society, VIII, 1920, pp. 104-5.
H. Lemaitre, Le Paysage Anglais a l' Aquarelle 1760-1851, Paris, 1955, p. 148.
A. Bury, R.W.S., Francis Towne, Lone Star of Watercolour Painting, London, 1962, p. 118.
R. Stephens, A catalogue raisonné of Francis Towne (1739-1816), online edition, no. 144.
London, 20 Lower Brook Street. Grosvenor Square, Exhibition of Original Drawings by Francis Towne, 1805, no. 10.
London, Burlington Fine Arts Club, Watercolour Drawings by Francis Towne and John White Abbott, 1929-1930, no. 12.