Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to
James White of Exeter (1744-1825) and by bequest to
John Herman Merivale (1779-1844) and by descent in the family to
The Misses Maria Sophia and Judith Ann Merivale, by 1915, by whom sold to
Agnew's, 27 February 1935 (£8).
with Agnew's, London, where purchased 27 February 1935 by W.B. Dalton (12 gns).
with Leger Galleries, London, 1982.
T. Wilcox, Francis Towne, London, 1997, p. 97, under no. 40.
R. Stephens, A catalogue raisonné of Francis Towne (1739-1816), online edition, no. 365.