This view on the Thames shows London Bridge from the south. The Fishmongers' Hall is visible to the left of the bridge, and Monument can be seen beyond. Monument was designed by Sir Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke and constructed of Portland stone in 1671-7 to commemorate the Great Fire of London in 1666. The newly built London Bridge was opened on 1st August 1831 by William IV and Queen Adelaide. The painting can be dated to between this date and Yates' death in 1840.
Yates was a topographer who travelled extensively in Great Britain and the Continent. He produced a number of views of bridges and buildings in London, particularly in Bermondsey and Southwark.