Johann Ernst von Thun (1643-1709) was the Prince Archbishop of Salzburg, Austria, from 1687 until his death. He was opinionated, with strong artistic and religious views: he promoted Austrian Baroque architecture at the expense of the more fashionable Italian art.
In this drawing, preparatory for a dedication print, Von Thun is portrayed in an oval, surrounded by the monuments of Salzburg that he commissioned or endowed. These are listed at the bottom of the page: The Church of the Holy Trinity, The Seminary and College of Saint Virgil, 1694 (no. 1), The University Church, 1696 (no. 3), The Pilgrimage Church in Lofer, 1694 (no. 4), The Hospital Saint John, 1695 (no. 5), The Riding School, 1693 (no. 6), and The Stables, 1693-5 (no. 7). At the top of the drawing is the Trinity, Saint Rupert (patron saint of Salzburg), the Virgin, Saint John and Saint Ernest (name saints of the Archbishop); at the bottom are the allegories of Faith, Justice, Prudence, with the eagles and unicorn, emblems of von Thun. In the centre is his coat of arms as Archbishop.
Johann Friedrich Pereth is best known for his altarpieces in the diocese of Salzburg and for his preparatory drawings for prints (views of Maria Plain, of Bad Gastein, Scenes of the Life of Saint Anthony; see N. Schaffer, in Salzburger Kulturlexikon, Salzburg, 2001, p. 393).
We are grateful to Dr. Peter Keller for his help in cataloguing this drawing.