Philip Connard was born in Southport, Lancashire. He won a scholarship to the Royal College of Art, and then a British Institution Prize to Paris in 1898. On his return to London he taught at the Lambeth School of Art. During the First World War he was an Official War Artist. He exhibited widely, including at The Leicester Galleries and Barbizon House. He was elected a member of the RA in 1925 and Keeper from 1945-9.