No sales tax is due on the purchase price of this lot if it is picked up or delivered in the State of New York.
PROPERTY FROM STRONG NATIONAL MUSEUM OF PLAY, SOLD TO BENEFIT THE COLLECTIONS FUND
Lots 28 and 29 are presentation drawings for leaded glass windows for the Briarcliff Congregational Church, in Briarcliff Manor, New York (1896). Tiffany Studios executed seven windows for the church between 1898 and 1906 and the church maintained a close relationship with the firm. Tiffany window designer Frederick Wilson lived in Briarcliff and designed at least one of their windows, and in 1908, he even rented a studio space from the church. The church was able to utilize Tiffany Studios because of the patronage of Walter William Law (1837-1924), a partner in the decorating firm of W. & J. Sloan in New York. Law and his family commissioned several Tiffany and other windows in the church.
Although it is difficult to date presentation drawings from Tiffany Studios, these two drawings may have been executed around 1906, the same time Tiffany executed the design for the west transept window at the church. The church may have asked for designs for both the east and west windows, or alternate designs for the only the west window. The west window has the same tracery pattern as found in the offered drawings and depicts a lush landscape with trees and irises, with the Heavenly Jerusalem hovering in the sky above (illustrated in A. Duncan, Tiffany Windows, color plate 34).
The east transept window of the church was ultimately executed by John Hardman's Studio in Birmingham, England in 1929. The window, however, depicts a scene nearly identical to that of the Tiffany drawings, but in a far more linear style, with enameling to render the foliage and other details. It is unclear whether the church asked for drawings from both firms around 1929, or if the church specified to Hardman's that they wanted a product similar to the earlier Tiffany design.