The original 'Arch, Axe and Gloves' chair, inspired by Russian national folk furniture of the 17th century, was first produced by Vasilii Shutov and exhibited at the All-Russian manufacturing exhibition in St Petersburg, 1870. It is probably from this original model that the present lot takes its distinctinve design including the trompe l'oeil embroidered cloth seat. The design inspired numerous later versions produced throughout Russia and remained popular for four decades. Alexander III apparently purchased a similar chair and an example exists in the the Hermitage Collection (no. ERMB-481).