• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7561

    Simon Sainsbury The Creation of an English Arcadia

    18 June 2008, London, King Street

  • Lot 11

    A CHARLES II OAK COURT CUPBOARD

    LATE 17TH CENTURY

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    A CHARLES II OAK COURT CUPBOARD
    LATE 17TH CENTURY
    With a moulded top and dentil and arcaded frieze, divided by turned finials headed by split bobbins on column supports with Ionic capitals, the upper two tiers each with three moulded drawers, one original and five added in the 19th Century, the conforming base applied with studs on turned feet
    48 in. (122 cm.) high; 48½ in. (123 cm.) wide; 18 in. (46 cm.) deep


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    The main purpose of the cupboard from medieval times to the 17th Century was for the display of silver or gilt plate or pewter. Literally a board on which to display cups, it was an open structure of two or three tiers. Frequent mention in 15th and 16th Century inventories of the term 'cup-board plate' reflects the close link between the furniture and the wares displayed upon it. William Harrison, who wrote his Description of England in 1577, noted in the houses of the nobility 'silver vessell, and so much other plate, as may furnish sundry cupboards, to the summe oftentimes of a thousand or two thousand pounds at the least' (R.W. Symonds, 'Court and Livery Cupboards, Their Design and Evolution', Antique Collector, June 1951, pp 126 - 132).

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Provenance

    The private collection of R.A. Kern, Esq.
    Acquired from Hotspur, 4 August 1981.


    Literature

    R.W. Symonds, 'Court and Livery Cupboards, Their Design and Evolution', Antique Collector, June 1951, p. 127, fig. 5


    Exhibited

    The Art Treasures Exhibition, Bath, May-June 1958, no. 341.