Snakewood (Piratinera guianensis) was imported from the British Guyanese colony known as Willoughbyland, from 1663, named after Francis, Lord Willoughby of Parnham, its Governor from 1650. In 1667, under the terms of the Treaty of Breda, the colony was exchanged with the Dutch colony New Amsterdam, promptly renamed New York, and Willoughbyland renamed Surinam. Snakewood was used quite widely in English cabinet-making in the second half of the 17th century, however by 1675 imports had virtually ceased. A closely-related chest is in the Victoria & Albert Museum (A. Bowett, 'Snakewood in 17th Century Furniture Making', Antique Collecting, May 1997, pp. 26-29).