The loo-table, conceived in the early l9th Century Grecian manner with altar-drum on plinth-supported pillar, is further embellished in the 1830s romantic or antiquarian 'gothic' fashion, as popularised by publications such as F.W. Mercker, Practische Zeichnungen von Meubles im neuesten und geläuteresten Geschmacke mit beigefügtem Maastab fur Architekten, Tishler, Vergolder, Bildhauer, Leipzig, 1831-1844.
The Maison Alphonse Giroux was established in 1799 at 7, rue du Coq-Saint-Honorè, Paris. In 1838, the expanded business operated under the name of Giroux & Cie., frequently winning medals at the Exposition des produits de l'industrie française . In 1857, the business relocated to 43, boulevard des Capucines, where it remained until 1867, when it was taken over by Duvinage and Harinckouk.