Founded in around 1815 by Jean Beurdeley (1772-1853), the company's reputation was principally established by his son, Louis-Auguste-Alfred (1808-1882), who took over from his father in 1840, and grandson, Alfred-Emmanuel-Louis (1847-1919), who succeeded in 1875. Known chiefly for the refinement of its ormolu, whose mercurial gilding and hand chasing makes it difficult to distinguish from late 18th century work, and magnificent furniture copied from Louis XVI models in the Garde-meuble national, Beurdeley exhibited and won awards at all of the major International Exhibitions during the second half of the 19th century. The company's workshops finally closed in 1895 and Beurdeley's stock was sold over a series of auctions. A number of these sales were conducted by Galerie Georges Petit of Paris. Two catalogues of the collection were published in 1895 and sales were held between 6-8 March and again on 27-28 May.
Another example of this model commode by Beurdeley was sold Sotheby's New York, 'A Private Collection, Volume II', 19 April 2007, lot 130 ($78,000).