• Three Woods: A Passion for Wal auction at Christies

    Sale 7909

    Three Woods: A Passion for Walnut, Oak & Yew The John Parry Collection

    25 March 2010, London, King Street

  • Lot 45



    Price Realised  


    The rounded rectangular cross and feather-banded book-matched veneered hinged top enclosing a walnut-veneered interior, above four graduated drawers, on bracket feet with dovetailed panels, the inside of the top drawer inscribed '8 818', the metalwork original, with laminated corner blocks
    28¾ in. (73 cm.) high; 28¼ in. (72 cm.) wide; 13½ in. (34 cm.) deep

    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    This chest was bought by John Parry exactly one week before the sale at Christie's of his first collection, which was held on 24 April 1997. This purchase, which might seem unusual given the timing, demonstrated the enduring power of collecting and how, even at the moment of dispersal, when a great work of art appears on the market, the collectors of the best are drawn to it.
    The term bachelor's chest refers to a shallow chest-of-drawers with a hinged top, usually enclosing a veneered surface. The top is usually supported by a pair of lopers placed to either side of the top drawer and is used for writing on, or as a dressing-table. The small size of the bachelor's chest suggests that it was designed as a piece of bedroom furniture, perhaps to fit in the window pier, to benefit from the daylight. The term 'bachelor's chest' was not used in the 18th century which has made identifying such chests in 18th century inventories difficult. The inventory of Sherborne House, Dorset of 1726 lists '2 folding walnut dressing tables drawers to the bottum [sic]' in a bedchamber and in another closet a 'walnut dressing Table to fold up with drawers to bottum [sic]' (A. Bowett, Early Georgian Furniture 1715-1740, pp. 105-106). Sherborne House was a Tudor house purchased by Henry Seymour Portman in 1720 and remodelled in the neo-Palladian manner by Benjamin Bastard of Blandford. The Hall contains a magnificent mural by Sir James Thornhill (d. 1734).

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium, which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Anonymous sale, Christie's, London, 17 April 1997, lot 80.