Travelling trunks of this form with similar decorative brass-studding originated in the seventeenth century and continued to be produced, relatively unaltered in form right through to the reign of George II. Sometimes known as 'Chancellor' chests, they have been associated with Chancellors of the Exchequer as government 'office equipment' (discussed A .Wells-Cole, Furniture History Society Newsletter, no. 141 , February 2001).
George II's coffer-maker, Edward Smith, supplied both the king and various members of the court with large number of trunks covered with 'russia leather' (P. Macquoid and R. Edwards, The Dictionary of English Furniture, London, 1954, vol. II, p, 17). A related trunk, bearing an identical trade label for Edward Smith was sold anonymously, Christie's, New York, 21 October 1999, lot 295.