The chandelier is related in design to some of the earliest known glass chandeliers, including glass and gilt-gesso chandeliers at Grimsthorpe which were installed there in 1726 (Country House Lighting 1660-1890, Leeds, 1992, pp. 42-43, fig. 26). Maydwell and Windle supplied a pair of large two-tier eighteen-light glass chandeliers for the Gallery 'tribunes' at Holkham, Norfolk, that had been hung there by 1757. Maydwell and Windle were established at The King's Arms in the Strand and their mid-18th century trade-card advertised several related cut-glass chandeliers.