PHILLIPS OF HITCHIN
This renowned firm of Antique dealers was founded by Frederick William Phillips in 1884. Following his death in 1910, the business was run by his son, Amyas Phillips (d. 1962). Jerome Phillips joined in 1961 and continued the business. They were one of a coterie of dealers that specialised in superb quality 18th century mahogany and the furniture historian and advisor, R. W. Symonds regularly visited to inspect pieces on behalf of clients. Phillips of Hitchin were instrumental in the formation of many of the best collections of the second half of the 20th century including The Samuel Messer Collection (sold at Christie's, London, 5 December 1991), The Moller Collection (sold at Sotheby's, London, 18 November 1993) and in particular the collection of H. J. Joel at Childwick Bury, St. Albans (sold at Christie's, London, 15 May 1978). They have also negotiated pieces to many museums and galleries including the Victoria & Albert Museum, London; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; The collection at Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia and the National Gallery of Victoria, Australia.