• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 5969

    A West Country Tradition - Avon Antiques, Bradford-upon-Avon, Wiltshire

    21 May 2009, London, South Kensington

  • Lot 40

    A GEORGE II OAK HANGING SPICE CUPBOARD

    MID-18TH CENTURY

    Price Realised  

    A GEORGE II OAK HANGING SPICE CUPBOARD
    MID-18TH CENTURY
    The arched panel door inlaid with fleur-de-lys corner motifs and central burr-oak octagonal motif, enclosing a fitted interior of eighteen drawers and a further two behind the cornice, all with original handles
    19¾ in. (50 cm.) high; 19¾ in. (50 cm.) wide; 9¾ in. (25 cm.) deep


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    The medieval Dartington Hall was built by John Holland, 1st Earl of Huntingdon and Earl of Exeter (c.1352 - 1400) between 1388 and 1400. The estate was later seized by the Crown and in 1559 it was acquired by Sir Arthur Champernowne, Vice-Admiral of the West. In 1925, the hall was mostly derelict and was bought by Leonard and Dorothy Elmhirst, who renovated the buildings and established the Dartington Hall Trust to run the estate.

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Provenance

    Dartington Hall, Devon.