The Library pier-commode-table, with plinth-support and open bookshelves, is elliptically curved in demi-medallion form in the George III 'Roman' fashion introduced by architects such as James Wyatt (d.1813); and popularised by Messrs. A. Hepplewhite & Co.'s, Cabinet-Maker and Upholsterer's Guide (1788; 2nd ed. 1794). Its golden ribbon-banded stringing is incorporated at the pilasters to form hollow-cornered tablets in the manner adopted by firms such as Gillow of London and Lancaster. It can be compared to Gillow's design for a commode-table that was commissioned in 1796 for Lytham Hall, Lancashire, although the latter, called a 'cupboard', had its shelves concealed by doors (L. Boynton, Gillow Furniture Designs 1760-1800, Royston, 1995, fig. 119).