The George IV table, intended companion of a Grecian sofa and conceived in the British French antique fashion, has its oak top wreathed by festive marquetry-inlay of flowers tied in corner tablets by branches of Jupiter's sacred oak issuing from the centres; while golden Egyptian 'sunbursts' flower its frieze tablets. Related oaken furnishings, lauded in R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts, were commissioned in 1815 for Napoleon's St. Helena residence from the Tenterden Street cabinet-maker George Bullock (d.1818) by George IV, when Prince Regent. The basic pattern for the poetic Grecian plinth-supported pillars, which are raised on Apollonian palm-flowered griffin paws, appears in an 1823 sketch for a table commissioned by Sir H. D. Hamilton from Messrs Gillow & Co. The stamp 'Gillows. Lancaster', together with chalked numerals, features on a table with similar pilaster supports (sold Christie's London, 8 February 1996, lot 387, where the Gillow design is also illustrated).