Nicolas Morel and Robert Hughes were partners in a cabinet-making and upholstery business at 13 Great Marlborough Street, London, from 1805 until 1826. Their commissions included work at Carlton House, London, for the Prince of Wales, and later the Prince Regent and for several aristocratic clients. The present chair bears a strong correlation with a bergere supplied by Morel and Hughes in 1823 to the 3rd Duke of Northumberland for the Ante Room to the Crimson Drawing Room, Northumberland House. Both chairs share the same bold shaping of the back as well as the carved and gilt decoration of the legs and seatrail (F. Collard, Regency Furniture, Suffolk, 1985, p. 111, pl. 12).