Specified lots (sold and unsold) marked with a filled square not collected from Christie’s by 5.00 pm on the day of the sale will, at our option, be removed to Cadogan Tate. Christie’s will inform you if the lot has been sent offsite. Our removal and storage of the lot is subject to the terms and conditions of storage which can be found at Christies.com/storage and our fees for storage are set out in the table. These will apply whether the lot remains with Christie’s or is removed elsewhere. If the lot is transferred to Cadogan Tate, it will be available for collection from 12 noon on
the second business day following the sale. If the lot remains at Christie’s it will be available for collection on any working day 9.00am to 5.00pm. Lots are not available for collection at weekends.
PROPERTY FROM A NORTH GERMAN COLLECTION (LOTS 107-111 & 516)
FRIEDRICH GOTTLOB HOFFMANN OF LEIPZIG
The following lots (109-111) can be attributed to the workshop of the celebrated Saxon court cabinet maker Friedrich Gottlob Hoffmann. Hoffman was active between 1770 and 1806, and was appointed court cabinet-maker in 1795. With up to 42 employees, the workshop had an extraordinary size for a German cabinet maker at that time and can only be compared in size with the Roentgen workshop. The publication in 1789 and 1795 of two furniture catalogues by Hoffman resulted in orders from all over Europe. Where the first catalogue was still influenced by French design, the second catalogue was characterised by sober, strict neo-classical designs, strongly influenced by Hepplewhite, yet characteristic of the so-called Zopf-Stil.
M. Sulzbacher and P. Atzig, Friedrich Gottlob Hoffmann, Grassi Museum fuer Angewandte Kunst, Leipzig, pp. 152-153 (illustrated).
Grassi Museum, Leipzig, November 2014 - April 2015