The richly carved frame with its C-scrolls and rocaille clasps compares to the designs of sculptor Johann August Nahl (1710-1785). Nahl arrived in Berlin after his travel in France and Italy in 1740. At that time Frederick the Great decided to redecorate his existing palaces and in some instances build new palaces in Berlin and Potsdam - including Schloss Berlin, Monbijou, Charlottenburg and Sanssouci. Nahl was named Directeur des Ornements, he was a designer, but with his background as sculptor he was also responsible for the stucco, the carved panelling and the furniture. A design by Nahl for the Bronzesaal of the castle in Potsdam of 1740-1746 which depicts wall panelling with mirrors and console table, reflects the ornamental vocabulary of this mirror.
H. Kreisel,Die Kunst des deutschen Möbels, vol.II, München, 1970, fig. 716.
Others mirrors with comparable C-scroll carving and winged dragons are illustrated in H. Kreisel, Die Kunst des deutschen Möbels, vol.II, München, 1970, fig. 718-719.