• 500 Years: Decorative Arts Eur auction at Christies

    Sale 2203

    500 Years: Decorative Arts Europe Including Carpets from The Corcoran Gallery of Art

    24 November 2009, New York, Rockefeller Plaza

  • Lot 19

    A LATE LOUIS XV ORMOLU-MOUNTED TULIPWOOD, AMARANTH, SYCAMORE AND PARQUETRY TABLE A ECRIRE

    STAMPED 'RVLC', CIRCA 1770

    Price Realised  

    A LATE LOUIS XV ORMOLU-MOUNTED TULIPWOOD, AMARANTH, SYCAMORE AND PARQUETRY TABLE A ECRIRE
    STAMPED 'RVLC', CIRCA 1770
    The pierced three-quarter gallery above a tooled writing surface inscribed 'BERTHOUT' and a fitted drawer on slight cabriole legs joined by a shelf-stretcher, inscribed in red paint 'H-7', stamped to underside of top at back, the pierced galleries and sabots probably replaced
    29½ in. (75 cm.) high, 17¼ in. (44 cm.) wide, 12¾ in. (32.5 cm.)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    Although achieving his maîtrise at a relatively early date, RVLC, who was related by marriage both to Jean-Franois Oeben and to Jean-Henri Riesener, is best known for his elegant products in the Transitional style of the 1760's and 1770's.

    He worked in the early years of his career both with Oeben and with Gilles Joubert, often on commissions for the Garde Meuble Royal, and also worked extensively with the marchand-mercier Simon-Philippe Poirier.

    He perfected the type of useful elegant occasional table typified by the example offered here (perhaps as a result of his frequent collaborations with Poirier), and the distinctive parquetry on this table, with a trellis of contrasting woods enclosing flowerheads, was a particular leitmotif. The oval shape, double-curved cabriole legs, spiral acanthus reserves, and the angle mounts, are also recurring motifs on small tables by RVLC.

    A number of examples of this model are known, with minor variants, including:

    -one in the British Royal Collection at Windsor Castle, purchased by George IV in 1829

    -one at Waddesdon Manor, ilustrated in G. de Bellaigue, The James A. de Rothschild Collection at Waddesdon Manor: Furniture, Clocks and Gilt Bronzes, London, 1974, vol. II, cat. 98

    -one formerly in the collection of Mrs. Henry Walters, illustrated in C. Packer, Paris Furniture by the Master Ebénistes, Newport, 1956, fig. 120

    -two in the collection of Djahanguir Riahi (one formerly in the collection of Mr. and Mrs. Deane Johnson, sold Sotheby's, New York, 9 December 1972, lot 112, one formerly in the collection Mme Henry Farman, sold Palais Galliéra, Paris, 15 March 1973, lot 117)

    -one with the unusual feature of spring-loaded drawers to the side, sold from the collection of André Meyer, Christie's, New York, 26 October 2001, lot 40

    -one from the Keck collection, La Lanterne, Bel Air, sold Sotheby's, New York, 5-6 December 1991 lot 258

    -one from the collection of Franco Cesari, sold Sotheby's Paris, 29 June 2004, lot 81

    -one sold from a European collection, Sotheby's, Paris, 14 June 2006, lot 138

    Saleroom Notice

    The coat-of-arms and motto 'Berthoud' belong to the Ranst de Berchem family, who owned the Chateau de Saint-Brisson in Gien in the 19th century.


    Pre-Lot Text

    PROPERTY FROM A DISTINGUISHED PRIVATE COLLECTION


    Literature

    P. Kjellberg, Le Mobilier Français du XVIIIe Siècle, Paris, 1989, p. 753, ill. D.