William Birch established his chairmaking business in High Wycombe in the 1840's, and his son Walter took over the business, by then known as Birch & Company, in 1895 with additional premises established in Euston Road, London, and workshops in nearby Denmark Street. The firm were pioneers in creating high class Windsor chairs, using imported rather than native timbers and employing leading designers. They supplied furniture for leading London stores including Liberty and exhibited at the St. Louis International Exhibition in 1904. Birch's Design and Cost Book entry for this model of armchair is reproduced in Michael Harding-Hill, Windsor Chairs, An Illustrated Celebration, Woodbridge, 2003, p.148.
A closely related chair bearing the label of Edwards & Roberts was sold at Vost's, Newmarket, 24 February 1999. Another of the same design as the present lot was sold Christie's London, 6 April 2000, lot 278.