• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 3786

    The Collection of Carroll Petrie & European Decorative Arts from the Birmingham Museum of Art, Alabama, including the Eugenia Woodward Hitt Collection

    31 March 2016, New York, Rockefeller Plaza

  • Lot 1268

    A LOUIS XV BEECHWOOD LIT DE REPOS

    BY LOUIS DELANOIS, CIRCA 1765

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    A LOUIS XV BEECHWOOD LIT DE REPOS
    BY LOUIS DELANOIS, CIRCA 1765
    With scrolled, flower-carved padded uprights and seat upholstered in green cut velvet, stamped twice L. Delanois to rails
    85 in. (216 cm.) wide


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Louis Delanois, maître in 1761.
    Louis Delanois was one of the most important menuisiers of the 1760 and 1770. He supplied extensively to marchands-tapissiers, but also numbered among his clients members of the aristocracy with progressive taste, such as the prince de Condé and Mme du Barry. One of his most important commissions was for the King of Poland in 1768-70, when he supplied a significant amount of mobilier after striking neo-classical designs by Louis Prieur.

    Distinctly different from the pomp and circumstance held in the bed chamber and lit de justice, from which nobility conducted affairs of state, was the lit de repos or "bed of rest", from which nobility enjoyed comfort and privacy. This form particular form, lit "à la Turque" or "turquoise" first appeared circa 1767, and would have been positioned lengthwise against the wall, usually in an alcove. It was distinguished from other forms of beds by its symmetrically waisted and out-scrolled head and footboards. A fashionable piece of furniture during the Louis XV period, the lit à la turque was found in the households of such arbiters of taste as Madame de Pompadour. A similar model to ours is illustrated in Guillaume Janneau, ‘Lits de repos et lits,’ Paris, 1977, pl. VIII.

    Provenance

    Eugenia Woodward Hitt Collection.