Inspired by Jean-François Oeben's celebrated Bureau de roi commissioned by Louis XV in 1760 and completed by Jean-Henri Riesener in 1769, the motif is reminiscent of the Herculean labours with its lion pelt-hung angles and laurel swags. Prominent Parisian ébénistes, such as Alfred Beurdeley, Henry Dasson and François Linke frequently reproduced the model - the latter also adapted it for a commode, large bibliothèque, bergère, and two pianos.
Operating from large premises at 43, boulevard des Capucines from 1886, and on the place Vendôme after 1908, the firm of Boudet was one of the most important Parisian retailers of quality furniture, silver and bronze decorations. Boudet's stock included works by renowned furniture makers and sculptors of the time, included Zwiener, Linke, Millet and Bonheur.
A pair of pedestal bed-side tables also supplied by Boudet with cabinetry and bronze-work attributed to Alphonse Lambert and Adolphe-Armand Truffier, respectively, were sold in these rooms 26 October 2004, lot 426 ($119,500).