This giltwood fauteuil is related to seat-furniture supplied in circa 1780 to Carlo Francesco Valperga, conte di Masino and marchese di Caluso for the Palazzo Masino, Turin, by the sculptural carver, Bartolomeo Manghetti (G. Ferraris, Giuseppe Maria Bonzanigo e la scultura decorativa in legno a Torino nel periodo neoclassico (1770-1830), Cavallermaggiore, 1991, p. 133 138 nos. C, CI). In 1780, following the conte di Masino’s appointment as Viceroy of Sardinia, second only in importance to the king, a palazzo was acquired from the duc di Broglia on the corner of via Arsenale and via San Carlo, Turin, and an immediate refurbishment occurred in the most fashionable 'alla francese' Louis XVI style, using the architect Filippo Castelli, with furniture supplied by Manghetti (ibid., pp. 133-135). The distinctive carving of the back struts is virtually identical to that found on a set of four carved painted and parcel gilt armchairs sold Sotheby’s, Milan, 20th June 2001, lot 619.