• The Sunday Sale - Property fro auction at Christies

    Sale 5974

    The Sunday Sale - Property from the Academy of Medical Sciences, removed from 41 Portland Place, W1 and The Robert Harling Collection

    13 September 2009, London, South Kensington

  • Lot 1

    A PAIR OF BRASS AND PATINATED METAL CORINTHIAN COLUMN TABLE LAMPS

    EARLY 20TH CENTURY

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    A PAIR OF BRASS AND PATINATED METAL CORINTHIAN COLUMN TABLE LAMPS
    EARLY 20TH CENTURY
    With green painted metal fluted shafts
    14½ in. (37 cm.) to top of capitals
    And three similar bronze and brass single Corinthian column table lamps (5)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Provenance

    Supplied by Green & Abbott Ltd., Wigmore Street, London.


    Pre-Lot Text

    The Sunday Sale - Property of the Academy of Medical Sciences, removed from 41 Portland Place, W1 (Lots 1-57); and The Robert Harling Collection, (Lots 61-173)

    Founded in 1998, the Academy of Medical Sciences works to promote advances in medical science. The Academy is one of a small group of National Academies of the UK, alongside the Royal Society and Royal Academy of Engineering. In 2008, the Academy acquired new premises at 41 Portland Place, London. This building was chosen by the Ciba (later Novartis) Foundation in 1947 as the location for a new charitable foundation devoted to promoting international cooperation in medical and chemical research. At its inception, the foundation commissioned Dr Christoph Bernoulli from Switzerland to furnish the building with Adam and Regency pieces in keeping with the age of the house, creating a rich collection and a stimulating environment for the many scientists - including 83 Nobel Laureates who visited the building over the following 60 years.