• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 1993

    Important English Furniture

    25 April 2008, New York, Rockefeller Plaza

  • Lot 111

    A PAIR OF CREAM AND GREY-PAINTED MIRRORS

    THE CARVED PANELS, POSSIBLY BY THOMAS CHIPPENDALE, CIRCA 1770 AND ADAPTED INTO MIRROR FRAMES

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    A PAIR OF CREAM AND GREY-PAINTED MIRRORS
    THE CARVED PANELS, POSSIBLY BY THOMAS CHIPPENDALE, CIRCA 1770 AND ADAPTED INTO MIRROR FRAMES
    Each of rectangular form, with a molded frame carved with waterleaf and guilloché border, the plates possibly 19th century
    64 in. (162.5 cm.) high, 34 in. (86.5 cm.) wide (2)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    The surrounding frames to these mirrors were supplied as room panelling as part of the furnishing of Harewood House, Yorkshire (1767-1778) for Thomas Chippendale's most important patron Edwin Lascelles, Esq. Indeed, Chippendale is the sole London cabinet-maker listed among the vast records at Harewood although some invoices have been lost. Harewood underwent significant remodelling by the architect Sir Charles Barry in 1843-1850. Many of the furnishings were dismantled and removed to storage at the time including the State bed (when the State bedchamber was converted into a private sitting room) and various important mirror frames by Chippendale (sold by the 7th Earl of Harewood, Christie's, London, 10 April 1986, lots 80-84) as well as a large group of carved panelling.

    Provenance

    The carved panels possibly supplied by Thomas Chippendale to Edwin Lascelles, Esq., later Lord Harewood (d. 1795) for Harewood House, Yorkshire.
    Presumably removed during Sir Charles Barry's renovations at Harewood in 1843-50.
    Remaining in storage on the Estate until sold
    The property of the Rt. Hon. The Earl of Harewood, K.B.E., Harewood House, Leeds, Yorkshire; Christie's house sale; 3 October 1988, lot 106.
    Bought from Gerald Bland, New York in 2000.


    Pre-Lot Text

    Property of a Private Collector
    (LOTS 110-121)