This chair pattern, with veil-draped and truss-scrolled legs, reflects the 'Roman'’ fashion that is likely to have been invented for the mahogany chairs supplied to Hugh Smythson/Percy, later lst Duke of Northumberland (d. 1786) by Thomas Chippendale (d. 1779), and designed in harmony with the architecture introduced to the hall at Syon in the 1760s by Robert 'Bob the Roman'’Adam m(d. .1792). The present oak hall chairs at Syon appear to have been executed in the 1820s to the earlier pattern (H. Avray Tipping, English Homes, London, 1924, p. 145, pl. j). The present chairs are possibly from the set of four sold from the Collection of Mrs. John E. Rovensky, sold Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, 15-19 January, 1957, lots 957 and 958. These had been acquired from Arthur S. Vernay Inc., New York.
These chairs are from a significant suite of furniture. Other examples recorded include those advertised by Messrs. Edward & Sons of Regent Street in The Connoisseur, February, 1930. A pair of window-seats of this pattern is displayed at Clarence House, London (illustrated M. Hogg, 'Clarence House', The World of Interiors, October 2003, p.193) and a gilt chair of this pattern, is in the possession of Sir H. Wakefield, Bt., is illustrated J. Musson, 'Chillingham Castle', Country Life, 22 April 2004, p.133.