This Roman-medallion form of pier glass, clasped by 'Roman' acanthus foliage and festooned with its husks, is designed in the George II 'antique' fashion; and relates in particular to a cartouche, celebrating the Art of Architecture, that was invented by the Rome-trained artist William Kent (d. 1748) (J. Vardy, Some Designs of Mr Inigo Jones and Mr William Kent, 1744, frontispiece). The latter pattern inspired a pier glass designed by the architect John Vardy (d. 1765) for Charles Powlett, fifth Duke of Bolton (d. 1765) for Hackwood, Hampshire (sold by the late 2nd Viscount Camrose; Christie's, London, 8 July 1999, lot 24 (£287,500)). It also influenced the design of shell-capped pier glasses supplied in 1760 to Messrs. Vile and Cobb for the Saloon at Croome Court, Worcestershire (H. Hayward, 'Splendour at Croome Court', Apollo, May 1974, pp. 350-352). The inscription on the reverse may read 'Dudley' and might therefore refer to the Earls of Dudley, either for Dudley Castle, Staffordshire, or Dudley House, London. Alternatively, they may have been supplied to Thomas, 1st Baron Foley (1716-1769) Witley Court, Worcestershire and later included as part of the contents when Witley was purchased by William Ward, 1st Earl Dudley (1817-1885) in 1838.