In 1781, William Parker received a patent for candelabra bases of this concave square form. Between 1782-3 a set of four candelabra mounted on such 'patent' cut and gilt green glass bases on ball feet was delivered to the 5th Duke of Devonshire at Chatsworth (see M. Mortimer, The English Glass Chandelier, Woodbridge, Suffolk, 2000, p. 97, pl. 43). A three-light candelabrum with the same patent base in Wedgwood jasperware attributed to Parker is illustrated op. cit, p.107, pl. 54. A pair of two-light candelabra with jasperware bases and the same lion-form feet as the present pair, slightly later in date to the ball feet of the Chatsworth examples, was sold from the collection of Walter P. Chrysler Jr., Parke-Bernet Galleries Inc., New York, 6-7 May 1960, lot 495. The present pair differs in its lack of a canopy surmounting each finial, and the branches have most likely been added to. William Parker's son entered into partnership with the Perry family, to become Parker and Perry in 1802-03 and later Perry & Co. in circa 1820, the prolific chandelier firm who received the patronage of the Royal family.