• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 3786

    The Collection of Carroll Petrie & European Decorative Arts from the Birmingham Museum of Art, Alabama, including the Eugenia Woodward Hitt Collection

    31 March 2016, New York, Rockefeller Plaza

  • Lot 1396

    A PAIR OF GEORGE III ORMOLU ICE PAILS

    ATTRIBUTED TO MATTHEW BOULTON, CIRCA 1775

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    A PAIR OF GEORGE III ORMOLU ICE PAILS
    ATTRIBUTED TO MATTHEW BOULTON, CIRCA 1775
    Each with fluted body flanked by upright handles with mask terminals, one foot replaced, lacking liners
    9 in. (23 cm.) high, 11 in. (28 cm.) wide


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    This pair of ormolu ice pails can be attributed to Matthew Boulton (1728-1809) based upon the design in his Pattern Book reproduced here. It was created in the spirit of copying or inventing ‘new modes of luxury and magnificence’ by those ‘who have lived amongst the French’ and meant to be produced in ormolu or silver (N. Goodison, Matthew Boulton: Ormolu, London, 2002, p.258). The first examples were commissioned by the Duke of Ancaster in 1772 who order a total of five in two different sizes. Subsequent commissions were from the Earl of Ashburnham (four in the Ancaster pattern), the Earl of Coventry (a pair), the Countess of Derby and the Earl Beauchamp. (ibid, p.257).

    An identical example to the present lot owned by Sir Patrick Thomas, a direct descendant of Matthew Boulton now in the Victoria and Albert Museum is illustrated in Goodison, 2002, p. 258. Other ice pails attributed to Boulton include a pair sold anonymously at Christie’s, London, 23 November 2003, lot 12 and two identical pairs to the present lot: one sold anonymously at Sothebys, New York, 21 October 2000, lot 54 and the other sold anonymously at Druot, Paris, 20 November 2002, lot 94.

    Provenance

    Acquired from Rosenberg & Stiebel, New York, in 1971.
    Eugenia Woodward Hitt Collection.