• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 5971

    An English Look - Robert Kime, Piers von Westenholz, David Bedale and James Graham-Stewart

    8 July 2009, London, South Kensington

  • Lot 470

    A PAIR OF GERMAN CAST-IRON AND ZINC TORCHERES

    CIRCA 1840, IN THE MANNER OF KARL FRIEDRICH SCHINKEL

    Price Realised  

    A PAIR OF GERMAN CAST-IRON AND ZINC TORCHERES
    CIRCA 1840, IN THE MANNER OF KARL FRIEDRICH SCHINKEL
    Decorated overall with acanthus, on a hipped tripod base with hoof feet, each stamped '428'
    46½ in. (118 cm.) high; the tray 8½ in. (21.5 cm.) diameter (2)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Karl Friedrich Schinkel (d.1841) created metalwork designs for the Royal Prussian Iron Foundry, Berlin, both in cast-iron and cast-zinc. For Moritz Geiss, a metalwork founder, he assisted in supplying over half the designs in a catalogue of cast-zinc products. A cast-iron bench with similar anthropomorphic feet to the torcheres and a cast-zinc table, both designed by Schinkel, are on public exhibition at the Romanische Bader (Roman Baths Building) Charlottenhof. In 1822 Friedrich Wilhelm III acquired the Charlottenhof Estate and promised it to the Crown Prince Wilhelm as a Christmas present. In 1826 Schinkel was commissioned to convert the house and execute architectural work in the park. The works were completed by 1829 and included inspiration from Roman and Pompeian architecture and themes from Antiquity, incorporating marble vestibules, loggias, small sculpture galleries, porticos, balconies and baths. See Michael Snodin Karl Friedrich Schinkel - A Universal Man, V & A, p.60 for a bench, with similar legs to the present torcheres, at Schloss Charlottenhof.

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Provenance

    Supplied to George V of Hanover for Schloss Marienburg, Germany and by descent in the Royal House of Hanover to Ernst, Prince of Hanover, until sold Sotheby's house sale, 5-15 October 2006.